About Me

My photo
Loving all stylish and wonderful things in life, fashion and interiors. I am English but living my life in the fabulous city of Melbourne in Australia. Welcome and please read on.... (contact me at sjstubbs19@gmail.com)

Sunday, February 19, 2012

In which we do a 30 minute Jamie "spesh"

Mr SE and I are quite fond of watching the Jamie Oliver programmes that are on TV here in Australia at the moment.... They are his 30 minute special suppers and to quote Mr. O are prepared and served in "Well undah firty minites"
They are on fairly early each evening at 6.30pm so we record them and then watch them in a batch and last week we had a go at the Pizza served with a trio of salads - a mozzarella and pesto one , tomatoes with basil and balsamic dressing and rocket and lemon salad... Here above are the fruits of our labour all together...


And here the focus on the main dish the PIZZA. Have to say this is the first time I have made one completely from scratch including the base and we were impressed - it was so easy and also very quick too.


If you want to have a go at Jamie's pizza here is the recipe :


PIZZA
1½ mugs of self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
½ mug of tepid water

TOPPING
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
A few sprigs of fresh basil
½ a clove of garlic
Red wine vinegar
½ a 125g (4½oz) ball of buffalo mozzarella
Parmesan cheese, for grating over
8 slices of salami
1tsp fennel seeds
½ a fresh red chilli
PIZZA: Turn the heat under the frying pan up to high and dust a clean surface with flour. Put 1½ mugs' worth of flour into a food processor, then half-fill the same mug with tepid water and add to the flour with a pinch of salt and a glug of olive oil.
Whizz until smooth, then tip on to the floured board. Sprinkle the top of the dough and the rolling pin with flour (the dough will be quite wet, so be generous with the flour).
Roll the dough to a 1cm (½in) thickness. Drizzle olive oil into the pan, then dust the dough with flour again and very lightly fold it over into a halfmoon shape.
Lightly fold the half-moon in half, then move the dough to the pan and unfold it, pushing it down into the sides of the pan. If you don't have a pan this big, don't cook all of the dough at once, halve it and make two pizzas.
TOPPING: Put a third of the tinned tomatoes into a liquidiser with a few sprigs of basil, ½ a peeled clove of garlic, a splash of red wine vinegar, a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt. Whizz until smooth. Pour over the middle of the pizza base and spread out evenly.
Tear ½ a mozzarella ball into small pieces and dot around the base. Finely grate a layer of Parmesan over, then top with the salami slices. I like to bash the fennel seeds in a pestle and mortar and finely chop the chilli, then scatter them over the pizza.
Put the pan under the hot grill for 4 or 5 minutes, until golden and cooked through.


Quite DELISH and if you wanted the rest of the bits that went with the pizza -click on this link :


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1316918/Jamie-Olivers-30-minute-meals-Cheats-pizza-delish-salads-squashed-cherries-vanilla-mascarpone-cream.html

On other notes to tell you. As I type my MOTHER IN LAW is winging her way over the skies to Australia to stay for a few weeks... (No, no I did not say on a broomstick!) . Those long time readers of the blog will know that she (the MIL) is rather a force to be reckoned with and is a little outspoken to say the least. Will keep you updated as we go!


Hope you all had (or are having) a wonderful weekend.

18 comments:

  1. Jamie O. is known " up here " too, though I have only once seen him in action on TV, as we don´t watch TV any longer.
    But the food looks delicious. I especially appreciate the fact, that it can be made fast. Could it be ready in 15 minutes, as that is the time, I spend / time preparing food ; )?
    So you are having family over, the MIL ; ). Hopefully everything goes well : )!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds and looks delish!
    Do enjoy the MIL visit!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie's show is popular here and I particularly like the series Jamie at Home where he shows Brian his gardener harvesting the food from the vast veggie patch and cooking the pizza's outside in that wood burning oven.

    Your pizza looks delicious. Your MIL will be wowed by the cuisine. I hope that your visit goes without a hitch :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to be honest & say that whilst I like Jamie Oliver's cooking - we went to his restaurant in Cornwall last year and it was lovely - I find him a slightly annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a bit of a crush on Jamie Oliver, but other than his "makeover school lunches" program that was on last year, we don't see much of him other than occasionally on the food/cooking channels. I do appreciate his dedication to healthy food that's easy to prepare. Your meal there looks SO good!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dah dah dah dah dah dah (theme tune for MIL- but doesn't really translate on here!!). I am jealous of your pizza! May try it this weekend when my hot piece of ass is here, haha XXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too, am a fan of the tv show, but am yet to try a recipe. That looks absolutely delicious and I have just saved the recipe to try soon! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dinner looks delicious! Thanks so much for including the recipe. The pizza I have been making takes 3+ hours, can't wait to try this! Good luck with your visit, ahh family ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks all for the comments. Definitely worth trying out this recipe if you can. And Diane - welcome to the blog and thanks for following. Sarah. (Semi Expat) x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicous. I have been watching the 30 minute meals series, and the cookbook is fantastic. Although I'm not sure anyone can move as fast as Jamie does!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sarah,
    That looks SO good! Might have to try that this week.
    I like Jamie. His energy is so inspiring.
    Janelle xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delicious - does the base get cooked before the topping is added? Am a little confused.com!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks utterly yummy, just as right for a cold Brit Feb as a warm Oz one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear confused.com - base is put into the frying pan and then the underneath starts cooking (and getting that nice crisp base) - (on the stove top) toppings put onto base and then it is all finished off under the grill! X

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well, I am glad you got in the "Last Supper" before MIL arrived. I hope you have since presented everyone of your culinary delights to MIL on a plank board. I seem to recall she loved meals presented in that way. Oops!!! (God, I hope she never finds out about your blog!)

    Your Jamie Oliver pizza and trio of salads is making my mouth water!!! Did it really only take 30 minutes? If it did, amazing!!! Let me know when it's pizza night at your place - I'm inviting myself :-)

    (BTW, I loved Crazy Stupid Love too. I was killing myself laughing throughout. Having Ryan Gosling as 'eye candy' was an added bonus. What a hottie! Did you know he trained in ballet growing up?)

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks so delicious. I love Jamie's books. His new one about British food is excellent - Jamie's Great Britain. Fifi

    ReplyDelete
  17. yum yum i love jamie i have a crush on him!! haha. i kinda wannt to try this but a bit scared of cooking pizza in a frypan! ha!! good luck with the in laws! looking forward to hearing some tales! xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is a very informative and useful post thanks it is good material to read this post increases my knowledge

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and for your comment.....