About Me

My photo
Loving all stylish and wonderful things in life, fashion and interiors. I am English but living my life in the fabulous city of Melbourne in Australia. Welcome and please read on.... (contact me at sjstubbs19@gmail.com)

Monday, November 29, 2010

Quick visit into the city

Had to make unexpected visit into the city of Melbourne today. Right into the heart of the CBD. I think it's one of my most favourite cities in the world - everything is at your fingertips. It was decked out for Christmas with stars and fluttering flags.


There's a very good transport system in Melbourne. Melburnians sometimes complain about the trains and trams but I think they are wonderful. Look at this rather jolly tram in yellow above.



Outside David Jones department store there was a 'live' stone statue of F. Christmas! I love David Jones. Went in there today and bumped into such a gorgeous girl - a friend of daughter's - she is working at the MAC counter. The gorgeous girl was on the same Make Up Artist course that my daughter attended when she was here in June, July and August.......




Oh and look ! F. Christmas himself. He was starring in the window of Myers Department store...




Along with these animated lily fairies...





a prince and a princess, (Kate Middleton take note - a good dress design for you perhaps?!)







and these gorgeous white horses.




All very pretty I have to say but I cannot for the life of me really feel festive when it is warm. I imagine it must be an ingrained thing having been brought up in the Northern Hemisphere where Christmas means cold short days and long nights, open fires, evergreen fir trees and twinkly ice and snow !!


It's a different kind of atmosphere here - still fun and lovely but one of a rather long party with warm days and short nights, outside living, barbeques, beach visits and plenty of cold fizzy champagne. Not that I'm really complaining, especially about the fizzy part!

As I was in the city I called friend S who works there and we met for a healthy sushi lunch. After that the healthy part stopped as she took me to a gorgeous little cupcake place for some





and we had such a



catching up and chatting. Have not seen her for a while.







The inside of the cupcake shop - so colouful... Look at all the boxes used as decoration on the left hand side wall.





And above - 3 little cupcakes...How cute? From the left chocolate marshmallow, then vanilla creme, and on the right strawberry shortcake.


So delicious! (I had the strawberry one).




Oh and I did do a teeny bit of retail therapy too which I will tell you about in a later post. All in all a very nice day off altogether and I now feel ready to face the rest of the week.












16 comments:

  1. Melbourne is fantastic! What gorgeous cupcakes! They are too pretty to eat, but I'm sure you managed! Strawberry is always the best choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love shopping and sashaying in Melbourne! I don't think you can complain about Melbourne public transport until you have battled with Sydney's diabolical system...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust me I could try a warm Christmas for a switch.

    Beautiful city, fantastic pictures and your blog looks very chic.

    xo jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such lovely decorations! Those eylashes on the white horses are a wonderful touch. I imagine it would throw me to celebrate the holidays during summer weather too. Looking forward to seeing your Retail Therapy notes...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melbourne looks very cosmopolitan.... the moderne architecture near the train and the streetscapes.
    The horses and wee fairies with their lily bouquets feel like a children's magical place...(big kids too!)
    I cannot imagine Christmas in a warm climate but I'd give it a try :)

    Enjoy your week and let's see what you bought !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your very blue skies, and the cupcakes of course!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi sarah,

    i would have a hard time too with a summer christmas. even though in southern california we don't get snow it is usually cold. we do have seasons, they are just subtle. love those little fairies. my grandaughter would squeal with delight.

    ~janet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous when I lived in Sydney we travelled to Melbourne for Christmas and New Year and this post has made me miss Sydney. I adore sushi and it is hard to get here in SW France. I was told about a secret Japonais restaurant today by a French friend so am hoping to give it a try soon.

    A tres bientot,

    Leeann x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with you and some other bloggers about the warm xmas. I just could not do it, though many Finns travel to Thailand or other warm countries for the holidays.
    Nice to hear, that your day was a fine one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What lovely cupcakes!

    I am envious of that Melbourne sun.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am struggling too with the lack of cold weather and I've lived here for 15 years! Can't wait to see what goodies you bought!

    M xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is a lovely day! I want a cupcake now x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure Kate will snap up a dress like that immediately :)
    Great use of the cupcake boxes and your photo angle was clever, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum....I'd love to have some of that strawberry shortcake cupcake. It looks so delicious!

    Spending Christmas in warm weather is truly strange. I've done it once, in Auckland, NZ. But right now I cant help but dreaming of warmer pastures - Norway (and most of Europe) is abnormally cold for this time of the year and has been since the beginning of November. I hate this cold! I actually renewed my visa to Australia in case a trip to Oz would materialize in the beginning of the new year. I so long to escape the winter. But the airfares - OMG! It's robbery! With half of my flat still waiting for a refurbishment, I have to make a choice. New kitchen or trip to visit my blogging friends down under? Hm....better start playing some lotto, methinks...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello all... yes it was a lovely day in a beautiful city - thanks for all your comments - really does make my day and make all this blogging such fun. X

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Semi Expat
    I love Melbourne CBD - it is hustle and bustle, but contains everything I need.
    I wish you and your family a wonderful Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and for your comment.....