About Me

My photo
Loving all stylish and wonderful things in life, fashion and interiors. I am English but living my life in the fabulous city of Melbourne in Australia. Welcome and please read on.... (contact me at sjstubbs19@gmail.com)

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

ENGLISH APPLE CAKE

As the season of 'mists and mellow fruitfulness' is in full swing (well at least here in the Northern Hemisphere!) DDD and I made our English apple cake yesterday - totally delicious !! It nearly all went last night as we had a friend over for supper and we served it warm as a pudding with a little double cream - totally delicious but I have cut a slice to photograph for you to see...

RECIPE :
  • BUTTER 130 G
  • CASTER SUGAR 130G
  • 'EATING APPLES - ANY TYPE - 3
  • JUICE HALF LEMON
  • DEMERARA SUGAR - 2 TABLSPNS
  • GROUND CINNAMON - 1 TEASPN
  • 2 EGGS
  • PLAIN FLOUR - 130G (one spoonful taken out and replaced with a spoonful of GROUND ALMONDS)
  • BAKING POWDER - A TEASPN

Set the oven to 180 degrees, Gas 4. Line a cake tin - (I use a 2lb loaf tin). Put the butter and caster sugar into a bowl and and mix until light and fluffy. Cut the apples into small chunks and remove cores etc. as you go. Toss the apples into another bowl with the lemon juice and the cinnamon with the demerara sugar.

Gradually add the beaten eggs to the butter and sugar mixture and then fold in the flour/ground almonds and baking powder. Scrape mixture into the tin and top with the spiced apples. Bake for 55 mins to an hour. Leave to cool in tin for 10 mins so so before turning out. Best served warm.... (especially with cream!)

HAPPY AUTUMNAL DAYS!

2 comments:

  1. It's early morning here but I'm positively drooling over your cake! Leaving to cool in the tin for 10 mins would be a real challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit I HAVE eaten it for breakfast before! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by and for your comment.....