Today is Australia Day in this fair land that is my home for the time being which got me thinking... there is nothing really like it in the UK... Yes, we have St. George's Day but that is not a national holiday - here it is basically a day off and a family day (rather like Christmas) and a day to give thanks too... USA has Thanksgiving Day and France has Bastille Day - a day for families to converge and just be together.... Rather nice really...
And so then I thought well, yes.... I love my 'home' city of Melbourne, I really do - and these are things I particularly love (in no specific order....)
- The architecture (the great variety - from the wonderful modern skyscrapers to the period weather boarded homes).
- The green spaces within the city - the parks and in particular the Royal Botanic Gardens.
- The laneways and arcades.
- The cafes (and especially the lovely breakfasts available).
- The people - Meburnians are wonderful almost without exception - friendly, open and welcoming and most all with a 'can do' attitude.
- The art galleries and theatres.
- The beaches and coast line in general including the docklands area.
- The coffee (consistently good).
- The markets - from fresh food to 'flea'.
- The trams (and the transport system in general in the city).
- The River Yarra
- The fact that there are seasons in Melbourne - in fact a common saying is that you can get all 4 in one day... Or "If you don't like the weather, wait a couple of hours"..... At least in winter it is cold enough to wear tights here!
- The food - again, almost always of a good standard and what variety too!
And so there it is - my list... Happy Australia Day to all my fellow country dwellers... and a good day to you all wherever you call 'home'.